All the weather channels issued a frost warning yesterday which made me feel stupid and cocky for already planting my tomatoes and pepper plants out in the bed. Suzanne, who is a very experienced gardener said to just cover the plants with flower pots, but then I read that covering with plastic wasn't such a good idea as it wasn't breathable (which would really have been fine for one night), so my solution: the reusable grocery bags that I bought for planting morning glories and moon flowers.
I especially liked the Recyclosaurus ones, but they only had 3 left in the store :(
After carefully watering and covering my plants yesterday, I don't think it actually ever frosted. Granted, I was up only at 8:30 and the ice might have thawed by then but I doubt it. I did, however, discover that even though those bags look like they are water permeable, they are actually not. I got some water on top of one of them and that water was still there this morning. This means that I will need to poke drainage holes when I turn them into pots, which I still think is a better idea than spending double for one of the commercially available grow pots.
Lastly, here's a picture of Bonita as she helps me eat the dandelions in my garden :D







0 comments:
Post a Comment