Apple bushel crates are awesome!

It takes a lot of courage to call people on craigslist to buy their stuff but when you do it, it could turn out great! Like today, I called the number on an ad for apple bushel crates and got to speak to Tina who was super accommodating and helpful when I explained that I wanted the crates for planting potatoes in. We arranged for me to drop by after work today and pick out the ones that I thought were suitable - slates that are close together and sturdy (this was her idea). After I dropped off the wooden pallet that I got from Lowe's and picked Bubba up from home, I drove over to her home which was 10 minutes away. Tina was super nice and I picked out 6 home-made crates for $30. Each crate is about 1 x 1 x 1 which would be perfect for potatoes. And the vines would look super pretty overflowing from the crate. I'll probably only use three or four of them, maybe the other ones could be turned into outdoor stools.

I also bought a packet of borage seeds so now I just need marigold and maybe another flower :)

Last but not least, I would like to rant about the lack of peat moss alternatives in Charlottesville. I checked SouthernStates, Snow Garden, The Garden Spot and Lowe's and none of them have any coconut coir or could suggest any other alternatives. It looks like I'm going to have to spend $40 to avoid peat moss. Le sigh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.