Some days I feel ready to have a garden this year, but other days I feel really discouraged and worried that I've bitten off more than I can chew. Today is one of the "other days". First of all, I find out that if I'm going to go the eco-friendly way, I'll have to pay $30 for coconut coir instead of $10 for peat moss. The $30 is the cheapest from Amazon for 4.5 cubic feet of the coir after it has expanded. So I then tried to search for coir at local stores including Lowe's and fail at finding coir but found super cheap compost ($1-$3/2 cubic feet) when I had just paid about $5 for one cubic-feet of compost from Ivy Nursery and SouthernStates. Then I figured I could return one of those compost bags that I bought but of course, I couldn't find the receipt. How am I supposed to plan a garden when I can't even keep track of my receipts?
<continued on Saturday 2/25/12>
Second, I found out that the variety of Marigold that I wanted to plant, the "Snowball" was the correct seed packet from Burpee that I was looking at SouthernStates and decided against it because I thought I wanted "Snowdrift". Other stores that carry Burpee seeds, The Tractor Supply and Lowe's had the other white varieties but not "Snowball" which means that I have to go back to SouthernStates again to get that particular variety. And for some reason, Borage does not seem to be a popular plant even though it's supposedly really beneficial for repelling bad bugs.
Well, at least I have a supportive husband who doesn't mind being dragged to the Tractor Supply Store and Lowe's to look at seeds and diatomaceous earth and compost and a pitch fork. I'm definitely getting closer and closer to having a garden this Spring.



0 comments:
Post a Comment