Wooden pallets are a pain to take apart

especially without a small pry/crow bar. It took me 3 hours to take apart two 3x4 pallets using a hammer, a flat-head screw driver and a ginormous crow bar. This included taking each individual plank off and removing all (almost, some broke) the nails in them.

And unfortunately, I'm going to need at least one more pallet to make two raised beds that's at least 6 inches high. Here is a break down of the material I have as of now:
4" x 4' - 6 each
3" x 4' - 7 each
4" x 3' - 6 each

The length of each piece is actually a few inches shorter so I'm actually going to plan the 4 x 4 beds as a 3 x 3 so only nine squares each. And then I'll add an additional bed that's 3 x 3 (planned as a 2 x 2). With this new configuration, I would need 9 + 2 = 11 cubic feet of "soil" to fill all three beds up to 6 inches.  Of that "soil", I only need the peat moss or coconut coir now. But I still need to find one more pallet that's 3 x 4 that's a yellow-brown color to match the other two. If I can't find any, I guess I can just buy pine boards from Lowe's which should be fairly cheap... :( but still it's the principle of the matter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.