Seeds!

After work yesterday, I made a trip to Ivy Nursery just to see what they have. After getting slightly lost on the way there even with my GPS-enabled smart phone (sigh), I was not very impressed when I got there. The first things I looked at were clay pots at were about 12 a piece for a 8 or 10 inch one and was a little worried that things would be overpriced. When I walked into the store, there was no one there and it looked more like a wedding gift shop than a garden center. Then I walked out the back of the store and found a guy sitting on a tractor(okay, I really don't know my machinery) and he helped me locate some compost. I purchased one bag of each that they had for a total of $12. 

I need 16 cubic feet of stuff to fill two 4x4 raised garden beds up to 6 inches. So, 14 more cubic feet to go. To make Mel's mix, I would need vermiculite and peat moss which are both not very environmentally friendly, but this will be a one time purchase so would that justify getting them? There are alternatives but they are more expensive and might not work as well.

After bringing my car around to load the compost, I went back inside to look at seeds and purchased a bunch! These are the seeds that I bought:
Kentucky heirloom pole beans
Edamame
Moonflower
Dill
Baby carrots
Leek
Garlic chives
Salad mix lettuce
Cucumber
for a total of $20.

Now I just need to start the leek seedlings as everything else can be sowed directly outside. Yay!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.