Take Two, May 7 2012


Here we go... take 2. I'm finally done with the immunology conference and am waiting for my flight to Richmond that's not for another almost 2 hours. This gardening update is way overdue as much have changed in the garden since my last post about potatoes. Since then the potatoes have sprouted and are already pocking through the straw as of Friday morning, May 4. The morning glory and moonflowers have sprouted and some of the morning glory leaves have been eaten by something and so has my bluebell leaves.  I'm pretty sure the culprits causing damage to my bluebells are slugs so I left some beer out for them before I left. It rained on Saturday so I doubt I'll see any evidence of dead drunk slugs but maybe I'll have some new bluebell leaves start coming up again. Otherwise this will be my most expensive lost :( Or even if they didn't come back this year I hope that the roots survive till next year.

Besides those casualties, everything else is getting along quite nicely. The beans and cucumber seedlings have started to sprout, the trellis for the morning glories and mooflowers is 80% done.

It's rained a lot the past couple of weeks, which has been great for the plants and filling up the rain barrel but not so great in controlling the fungi in the raised beds. Who knew I had mushrooms growing in my front yard. They're supposedly not bad for the plants but I don't like them competing for space and nutrients. Unfortunately, pulling the visible parts off is not going to get rid of the fungi but at least the beds would look more presentable. As it is the grass has started to really come through the mulch and even the soil in my raised beds that I have to be constantly pulling them out. Well, actually just the ones coming through in the beds. I should put down another proper layer of cardboard and mulch everywhere else but that's gonna cost more time and money which I rather spend on planting.

Weeding is definitely my least favorite gardening activity. Unfortunately, there's really no way around that. Well, if I want my plants to grow and my garden to look pretty, there's really no way around it. I still have most of that second tier to weed. I did clear out a lot chickweed already and have been able to plant my herbs and strawberries which really wasn't too bad. My biggest concern are the bits of that diseased tree that Amanda's dad cut down for us. Do I leave them on the ground to slowly decompose or should I pick every single branch and throw them into the garbage? My compromise was to pick up the bigger pieces and ignore the rest. Hopefully my new plants will do okay.

The other dilemma that I've been having is about the weed cloth that the previous owner installed under everything. Should I take them out as I'm planting or should I leave them in? I left the ones in the iris bed and cut holes for the daylilies as well as the thyme. I tore up the area where I planted the strawberries so that they can spread. I really don't like the weed barrier; it clearly doesn't work since I still have weeds. But more than the weed cloths, I hate the river rock mulch even more. I started removing them end of last year but stopped when it got cold and have now decided to leave them as they are and work with them. This is probably better for my sanity but I still really hate those rocks.

Next on my to-do-list:
Finish the trellis
Weed the 2nd tier
Start clearing the beds right against the front wall of the house
Plan those beds
Look for sweet potato slips

Photos to come, hopefully tomorrow if not definitely Wednesday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.